Five things to watch at Thursday’s city council meetings
The College Station City Council gathers Thursday at city hall for its workshop (5:30 p.m.) and regular (7 p.m.) meetings. Here are five items to watch:
- E-cigarettes: The council will discuss prohibiting the sale of e-cigarettes to minors and use of the devices where tobacco products are banned.
- Proposed BVSWMA Budget: The council will consider the proposed FY2015 BVSWMA, Inc., budget, which includes $7.2 million in revenue and $8.1 million in operating expenses.
- Proposed City Budget: The council will get its first look at the city’s proposed FY2015 budget. The budget calendar includes a series of workshops scheduled for Aug. 18-20 and a public hearing on Sept. 11. A budget must be adopted by Sept. 27.
- Cooner Street Reconstruction: As part of the consent agenda, the council will consider a $2.14 million contract for the Cooner Street Reconstruction Project, which includes the installation of new water lines, sewer lines, electrical conduit and pavement reconstruction. Most of the funding is from federal grants.
- Annexation Petition: The council will consider a petition by a property owner for the city to annex about 70 acres generally bordered by Wellborn Road, Greens Prairie Road West and Royder Road.
The meetings can be watched live on Suddenlink Ch. 19, or online. Previous council meetings are archived on the website. A detailed live blog from the meetings will be posted on this site and also can be accessed through the city’s Facebook page.