You can be properly insured ─ even in a floodplain

14877773_lBy Donnie Willis, Environmental Engineer

A flood can happen anywhere it rains, and only a few inches of water can cause major damage to your home.

Since standard homeowner’s insurance doesn’t cover flooding, it’s important to know your options. Despite common misconceptions, all homeowners, business owners and renters can get flood insurance regardless of whether they live in a floodplain or if their property has flooded before.

The City of College Station participates in the National Flood Insurance Program and is rated as a Class-7 Community, which means our residents pay lower flood insurance premiums. Rates are reduced 15 percent for structures in Special Flood Hazard Areas and 5 percent in Non-Special Flood Hazard Areas.

Flood insurance is required for property owners living in a high-risk area ─ or special flood hazard area ─ with a federally-backed mortgage. If you’ve received a federal grant or loan for previous flood losses, you must have a flood policy to qualify for future aid.

Several creeks in College Station have an increased risk of flooding during heavy rains. Burton Creek, Carters Creek, Wolf Pen Creek, Bee Creek, White Creek, Alum Creek, Lick Creek, Spring Creek and Fox Fire Creek each have floodplains where water collects and flows.

Floodplains are classified as Special Flood Hazard Areas and are located in a 100-year flood zone. Contrary to popular belief, the term 100-year flood doesn’t mean a flood will occur every 100 years. It means the flood elevation has a one percent chance of being equaled or exceeded each year.

Click here to see a map of floodplains in College Station.

For more details about flood insurance, visit To learn more about local floodplain management, visit


Photo Copyright: scottff72 / 123RF Stock Photo

If you found value in this blog post, please share it with your social network and friends!


Leave a Reply