5 things to watch at Thursday’s city council meetings
By Colin Killian, Public Communications Manager
The College Station City Council gathers Thursday at city hall for its final workshop (5 p.m.) and regular (6 p.m.) meeting of 2017. Here are five items to watch:
- Planned Development Zoning Districts: In the workshop, the council will hear a presentation about Planned Development zoning districts and the role of associated concept plans.
- Privatizing Solid Waste Services: The council will hear a workshop report about the possible privatization of the city’s solid waste services.
- Francis Drive Rehabilitation: As part of the consent agenda, the council will consider a $3.7 million construction contract for the rehabilitation of Francis Drive from Munson to Glenhaven and from Walton to Munson.
- University Drive Pedestrian Improvements: Also on the consent agenda is a $6 million construction contract for Phase II of pedestrian improvements along University Drive from College Main to South College Avenue/Bizzell Street.
- Preliminary Plan Streamlining: After a public hearing in the regular meeting, the council will consider amending the city’s Unified Development Ordinance to allow preliminary plans to be approved administratively. The change would help streamline the development review process.
Before the workshop, the council will host the annual employee recognition ceremony, which will include the city’s employee of the year and years-of-service awards.
The meetings can be watched live on Suddenlink Channels 19 or online. We’ll post a detailed live blog on this site.
Colin Killian (@ColinKillian) has been with the City of College Station since 2010 after serving 23 years as associate media relations director for the Texas A&M Athletics Department. Killian has also worked as a reporter and editor for the Corpus Christi Caller-Times and Lewisville News. A native of Hobbs, N.M., he graduated from Texas Tech with a bachelor’s degree in journalism/political science.
If you found value in this blog post, please share it with your social network and friends!