5 things to watch at Thursday’s city council meetings
By Colin Killian, Public Communications Manager
The College Station City Council gathers Thursday at city hall for its workshop (5 p.m.) and regular (6 p.m.) meetings.
Here are five items to watch:
- Homestead Tax Exemption: The council will have a workshop discussion about creating a Homestead Property Tax Exemption and the impact it would have on the city and its taxpayers. Homestead exemptions remove part of a home’s value from taxation, such as the first $25,000 or $50,000 of assessed value.
- Extraterritorial Jurisdiction: The council will have a workshop discussion about possibly extending the city’s Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ) to five miles.
- Solid Waste Collection Rates: As part of the consent agenda, the council will consider increasing the fees for solid waste collection services. The last residential rate increase was in 2010.
- Caprock 31 Rezoning: After a public hearing, the council will consider changing the zoning from Rural and General Commercial to Planned Development District for about 31 acres southwest of the Arrington Road-Greens Prairie Road intersection.
- Rock Prairie Road Agreement: The council will consider an inter-local agreement with Brazos County for improvements to Rock Prairie Road from Holleman Drive to Wellborn Road. The proposed cross-section of the roadway is two travel lanes, a continuous two-way left turn lane, bike lanes, and sidewalks.
The meetings can be watched live on Suddenlink Channels 19 or online. We’ll post a detailed live blog on this site.
Colin Killian (@ColinKillian) has been with the City of College Station since 2010 after serving 23 years as associate media relations director for the Texas A&M Athletics Department. Killian has also worked as a reporter and editor for the Corpus Christi Caller-Times and Lewisville News. A native of Hobbs, N.M., he graduated from Texas Tech with a bachelor’s degree in journalism/political science.
If you found value in this blog post, please share it with your social network and friends!