If you rent property for game day weekends, make sure to do it the right way

By Julie Caler, Code Enforcement Supervisor

College Station is known as one of the most fan-friendly cities in the Southeastern Conference and hosts visitors from all over. So if you rent your home or other property for Aggie game day weekends — or any other reason — you want to do it the right way.

The City of College Station has an agreement with Harmari STR to help identify unpermitted short-term rentals. These are residential units rented for fewer than 30 consecutive days and include single-family homes, duplexes, triplexes, fourplexes, multifamily units, and manufactured homes.

Harmari has been identifying short-term rental properties and will soon send compliance notices to identified property owners. The company will instruct property owners who aren’t complying with the city’s short-term rental registration program to apply for a permit and come into compliance. 

If you are a short-term rental operator, you must have a valid permit and collect and remit hotel occupancy taxes each month. The permit is valid for one year and must be renewed annually. Violations of the STR ordinance — such as nonpayment of hotel occupancy taxes — may result in permit revocation, denial of your permit at renewal, or a court summons.

For more on the required fees and requirements, along with how to apply for a permit, go to the Short-Term Rental Housing page on the city’s website.

Short-term housing is an integral part of College Station’s overall hospitality industry. We’re here to help you achieve compliance and success. If you have additional questions about short-term rentals, contact Code Enforcement at 979-764-6363 or str@cstx.gov.

<strong><em><span class="has-inline-color has-medium-gray-color">About the Blogger</span></em></strong>
About the Blogger

Code Enforcement Supervisor Julie Caler has been with the City of College Station for more than two decades.

If you liked this post, share it!