City Council Meeting Preview (Oct. 13)

Here’s a quick look at some of the items the College Station City Council will be considering Thursday, Oct. 13, at its workshop and regular meetings. This blog is not intended as a complete and official agenda. Click here to see the entire agenda packets.

Workshop Meeting (3 p.m.)

Affordable Housing Programming

The city council will hear a presentation on the future direction of the city’s affordable housing activities. City staff recommends revisions to the guidelines for the owner-occupied housing rehabilitation program, owner-occupied minor repair housing program, owner-occupied reconstruction program, and the development of a renter-occupied rehabilitation program.

Since the mid 1970s, the city has partnered with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to address quality of life, neighborhood stability and safe and decent housing for low-income residents. To date, the city has received more than $43 million, which has been used for affordable housing programs, direct services to low-income families through non-profit partners, and park, street, infrastructure and public facility improvements in low-income areas.

The recommended changes to the city-administered programs include:

  • Streamlining the current owner-occupied housing rehabilitation program, increasing the amount available to each owner-occupant, and adjusting the loan-type portfolio.
  • Revising the current owner-occupied minor housing repair program to eliminate the minimum credit score requirement and increasing the amount available to each owner-occupant.
  • Establishing an owner-occupied reconstruction program.

Regular Meeting (7 p.m.)

Consent Agenda

This is not a complete list of consent agenda items. Click here to view all the consent items.

Wellborn Widening Waterline Project

The council will consider a construction contract of $546,028 with Elliott Construction, LLC for the Wellborn Widening Waterline Project, which will install a waterline between North Graham Road and Graham Road, and another under Wellborn Road at Graham Road to connect to the existing line. The project is necessary because of the widening of Wellborn Road and includes the relocation of a city waterline along Wellborn Road from Harvey Mitchell Parkway to Graham Road.

The city is eligible for reimbursement by the Texas Department of Transportation for 95.6 percent of the construction costs since the waterline was located in a dedicated easement adjacent to Wellborn Road. The other 4.4 percent of the project cost is considered “betterment” for upsizing the line and will be the city’s responsibility.

Funding Agreements

The council will consider approval of funding agreements with several organizations. The council agreed to funding levels for these entities as part of the Fiscal Year 2012 budget process.

  • Arts Council of Brazos Valley: Funds of $200,000 are available in the Hotel Tax Fund budget to fund Arts Council affiliate grants. A total of $100,550 has been approved from the General Fund for operations and maintenance of the Arts Council.
  • Convention and Visitors Bureau: Funds of $1 million are available in the Hotel Tax Fund budget for marketing and operational activities directly associated with the promotion of tourism and the hotel industry in College Station.
  • Research Valley Partnership: Funds of $325,000 are available in the General Fund for providing economic development services.
  • Brazos County Health Department:  Funds of $326,500 are available in the General Fund based on an interlocal agreement that was originally approved early in 2010.

Regular Agenda

Affordable Senior Housing Tax Credit Development

The council will consider authorizing the mayor to sign a resolution declaring support for the NRP Group, LLC Joint Housing Tax Credit and HOME Investment application to the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs for 2012. The council also will consider approving the Conditional HOME Investment Partnership Commitment in support of a proposed affordable senior rental housing development, which will be constructed with private funds, State of Texas Low-Income Housing Tax Credit funding, and, with council approval, federal funds from the city’s HOME Investment Partnership grant.

Habitat for Humanity Agreement

The council will consider a funding agreement for a grant of $320,000 from HOME Investment Partnership funds to the local Habitat for Humanity for the production of affordable single-family housing. The city will approve the property acquired, the house design, and the project budget before each project starts.

Watch Live on Ch. 19

The workshop and regular meetings can be seen live on Suddenlink Ch. 19, or online. Previous council meetings are archived on the site.

Leave a Reply