10 Ways to Have a Merry Green Christmas
Consider practicing these 10 easy tips during and after this holiday season:
During the holidays:
- If you are a late shopper (and who isn’t?), remember to buy green — look for recycled content, environmentally-friendly products such as a compost bin, Energy Star logos, local goods, membership to environmental organizations, or rechargeable batteries.
- Reuse gift bags, paper and old holiday cards as gift tags.
- Bring your own bags on shopping trips so shops won’t have to give you new ones with your purchases. Make sure to tell the clerk that you have your own bags.
- Review the list of recyclables that College Station accepts at the curb and be sure to recycle. Recyclable items include newspaper, white paper, phone books, magazines, No. 1 and No. 2 plastic containers, clear and brown glass bottles and jars, and aluminum cans.
- Review the Bryan / College Station Recycling Directory to recycle items such as cardboard and packaging materials.
After the holidays:
- Compost your Christmas tree. Trees will be collected on your neighborhood’s brush collection day until Jan. 6. Make sure all decorations, stands and artificial snow are removed and your tree is at your curb by 8 a.m.
- Plant or donate live trees.
- Donate unwanted gifts and food to thrift stores and food banks.
- Recycle or reuse your gift bags and paper.
- Recycle your replacement electronics such as laptops, cell phones, handheld games, etc.
To view the Curbside Recycle Guide, B/CS Recycling Directory, and your Collection Day, please visit www.cstx.gov/recycle or call 979.764.6229.
Heather L. Qualls
Recycling Coordinator | Public Works