Here are five items to watch when the College Station City Council gathers Thursday at city hall for its workshop (6 p.m.) and regular (7 p.m.) meetings:
- Recognition Night: The workshop will include a whopping seven proclamations – Interact Sports Attack Day, National Library Week, March for Babies Day, Brazos Valley Earth Day, Safe Digging Month and National Public Safety Telecommunicators Week. The College Station Municipal Court also will be recognized for its contributions to traffic safety.
- Phone System Upgrade: The council will consider a $93,818.19 contract with Presidio Networked Solutions, Inc., to upgrade the phone system used by city departments.
- Northgate Substation Contract: The council will consider a $3.45 million contract with Power Secure, Inc., for construction of the Northgate Electric Substation.
- Vehicle Towing and Storage Services: The council will consider contracts with Excel Towing and Kalinec Towing to provide services for city-generated tows. The city has been using a rotation system among 29 towing companies, requiring police personnel to annually inspect 61 wreckers and 11 storage facilities.
- Naming Three Parks: The council will consider naming a trio of neighborhood parks in The Barracks and Castlegate as Barracks Park, Excalibur Park and Camelot Park.
The meetings can be watched live on Suddenlink Ch. 19, or online. Previous council meetings are archived on the website. A detailed live blog from the meetings will be posted on this site and also can be accessed through the city’s Facebook page.