By Colin Killian, Public Communications Manager
The College Station City Council gathers Monday at city hall for its workshop (6 p.m.) and regular (7 p.m.) meetings. Here are five items to watch:
- Affordable Housing Update: In the workshop, the council will be updated on the city’s efforts and programs to promote affordable housing.
- Arrington Road Interlocal Agreement: As part of the consent agenda, the council will consider an interlocal agreement with Brazos County to allow the county to pay for improvements to Arrington Road within the city limits.
- Hand-Held Ordinance Repeal: Another consent agenda item is the repeal of the city ordinance prohibiting the use of hand-held electronic devices while driving. The ordinance was recently preempted by state law, which bans texting and driving.
- FY18 Budget/Tax Rate Adoption: The council will consider adopting the city’s proposed $365.7 million budget for FY18, along with a 2½-cent increase in the property tax rate to 49.75 cents per $100 of valuation.
- Rezoning near Carters Creek Plant: The council will consider a request to change the zoning from Rural to Restricted Suburban and Natural Areas Protected for about 46 acres east of the Emerald Forest Subdivision near the Carters Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant. The change would allow a single-family residential development.
The meetings can be watched live on Suddenlink Channels 19 and 119 (HD), or online. The website includes an archive of previous council meetings. We’ll post a detailed live blog on this site.
Colin Killian (@ColinKillian) has been with the City of College Station since 2010 after serving 23 years as associate media relations director for the Texas A&M Athletics Department. Killian has also done extensive volunteer work for the U.S. Olympic Committee and worked as a reporter and editor for the Corpus Christi Caller-Times and Lewisville News. A native of Hobbs, N.M., he graduated from Texas Tech with a bachelor’s degree in journalism/political science.
If you found value in this blog post, please share it with your social network and friends!