5 things to watch at Thursday’s city council meetings
By Colin Killian, Public Communications Manager
The College Station City Council gathers Thursday at city hall for its workshop (about 5 p.m.) and regular (6 p.m.) meetings.
Here are five items to watch:
- Water Fund: In the workshop, the council will discuss the status of the water utility fund and the challenges it faces from growth, future capacity needs, and the impact of rainfall patterns.
- Smart City Initiatives: The council will hear a workshop presentation about the city’s technology-driven smart city initiatives. The discussion will include public sector trends and the types of advisory boards that exist in the industry.
- Northgate Park: As part of the consent agenda, the council will consider a $418,000 contract with Caprock Construction for the development of Northgate Park, a 1 ½-acre neighborhood park that will include lighted trails, open play areas, benches, a small lighted pavilion with picnic tables, and drinking fountains.
- Budget Amendment: After a public hearing, the council will consider a $2.33 million amendment to the city’s FY19 budget. Items include an attenuator truck and two equipment operators for the Solid Waste Division, parkland dedication funds, an assistant to the city manager, medical claims, and a cemetery water line.
- University Drive Rezoning: After a public hearing, the council will consider changing the zoning from Office with Corridor Overlay to General Commercial with Corridor Overlay for about three acres at 1101, 1103 and 1105 University Drive East. The change would allow for a broader range of uses in the existing development.
Colin Killian has been with the City of College Station since 2010 after serving 23 years as associate media relations director for the Texas A&M Athletics Department. Killian has also worked as a reporter and editor for the Corpus Christi Caller-Times and Lewisville News. A native of Hobbs, N.M., he graduated from Texas Tech with a bachelor’s degree in journalism/political science.
If you found value in this blog post, please share it with your social network and friends!