By Esmeralda, Casas, Neighborhood and Community Relations Coordinator
In 2020, nearly 200 cases of mosquito-borne diseases were reported across the state.
You can protect yourself and your loved ones by using mosquito dunks to prevent mosquitoes from breeding around your home. Dunks are effective, easy to use, and environmentally friendly.
The bi-layer tablets kill mosquito larvae before they can mature into biting adults. They are suited for common mosquito breeding sites around your home, such as garden ponds, birdbaths, roof gutters, and standing water.
The City of College Station’s Mosquito Abatement Program provides free mosquito dunks while supplies last. Based on availability, dunks may be picked up in the Neighborhood Services Office (979-764-6262) or the City Secretary’s Office (979-764-3541) at city hall. Please call ahead or visit cstx.gov/Neighbor to request a supply of dunks.
Dunks are only part of a vigorous line of defense. These sensible precautions can also help keep mosquitoes from invading your home and landscape:
- At least weekly, empty or remove trash cans, buckets, old tires, pots, plant saucers, and other containers that hold water.
- Keep your roof gutters clear of debris and standing water.
- Remove standing water around structures and from flat roofs.
- Change water in pet dishes daily.
- Rinse and scrub vases and other indoor water containers weekly.
- Change water in wading pools and birdbaths several times a week.
- Keep backyard pools and hot tubs properly chlorinated and free of debris.
- Cover trash containers.
- Water your landscape carefully so water doesn’t stand for days.
- Screen your rain barrels and openings on water tanks or cisterns.
- Treat front and back door areas with residual insecticides if mosquitoes are abundant.
- If mosquito problems persist, consider pesticide applications for your lawns and gardens.
To learn more about mosquito surveillance or to share your experience with mosquitoes, visit brazoshealth.org.
If you liked this blog post, please share it!