Answering these 7 questions can help you evaluate the flood risk of your property

By David Vaughn, Engineering Program Specialist 

Did you know that the City of College Station offers access to flood maps and related information to help determine your flood risk? 

Planning and Development Services’ flood map information service helps you make informed decisions to protect your home with personalized, one-on-one advice and assistance for your specific circumstances.  

The following Q&A can help you get started (click on question to see answer): 

1. Is my property in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA)? 

FEMA considers the SFHA to be a high-risk flood area where extra precautions are required. The city can provide a Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) and explain the information it contains, including whether your property is in the SFHA. 

2. Is my property near a floodway?  

A floodway is a channel of a river or other watercourse and the adjacent land areas that must be reserved to discharge water during a flood. The city has rules specific to developing in a floodway.

3. Does my property contain protected areas?

Some areas in College Station may be protected because of their natural floodplain functions, such as wetlands, critical habitats, and conservation areas.

4. Are there localized drainage issues near my home? 

Planning and Development Services can evaluate drainage patterns on and around your property and notify you of potential problems.

5. Does historical flood data exist for my property?  

You can find out if your property has been flooded in the past or is in a mapped repetitive loss area.

6. How can I protect my home from a flood?  

Planning and Development Services offers property protection advice to make your home more resilient to flood events.

7. Is financial assistance available to protect my property? 

In some cases, federal funding can subsidize the cost of protecting your home. 

For more information, contact us at 979-764-3570 or You can also ask for flood insurance advice and assistance or schedule a site visit with an engineer or floodplain manager to review flooding or drainage-related problems on your property. 

<strong><em><span class="has-inline-color has-medium-gray-color">About the Blogger</span></em></strong>
About the Blogger

David Vaughn is in his second year as the engineering program specialist for Planning and Development Services. He previously worked as an environmental coordinator for FedEx Express from 2015-20. A native of Silsbee, David earned a bachelor’s degree in geology from Sam Houston State in 2016. 

If you liked this post, share it!