By Jennifer Nations, Water Resource Coordinator
With summer approaching, this is a great time to spruce up your landscape with water-efficient plants, repair irrigation leaks, and upgrade with efficient plumbing fixtures.
From Saturday through Monday, you can take advantage of a state sales tax holiday to purchase certain water and energy-efficient products. The state legislature approved the annual sales tax break to encourage Texans to use our limited water resources more efficiently.
Eligible items conserve or retain groundwater, recharge water tables, or decrease ambient air temperature to reduce evaporation loss. A complete list of items is available on the Texas Comptroller’s website, but here are some highlights:
- WaterSense-labeled products for business or personal purposes. Rental property owners, take note!
- Soaker or drip-irrigation hoses.
- Moisture control for sprinklers or irrigation systems such as rain shutoff switches or soil moisture sensors.
- Rain barrels. If a rain barrel isn’t on your project list, don’t worry — rainwater harvesting equipment is always exempt from state sales tax.
- Plants, trees, and grasses.
- Soil and compost.
WaterSense labeled products undergo an independent third-party certification process and meet the EPA’s water efficiency and performance specifications. As a result, these products deliver exceptional performance and will trim your water bill for years to come.
Having a sustainable, reliable water source is vital to our community. The sales tax holiday offers a small incentive to help us reach that long-term goal.
Stay cool this weekend and enjoy your water and energy savings!
If you liked this post, share it!