By Kelli Nesbitt, Parks & Recreation Marketing Coordinator
According to the National Recreation and Parks Association’s Engagement with Parks Report, people highly value the programs and services that park and recreation agencies deliver to local communities every day and strongly support their mission.
Since 1985, July has been celebrated nationally as Park and Recreation Month. Throughout the month, we’ll highlight College Station Parks and Recreation‘s 72 full-time employees and their powerful role in health, conservation, and economic impact.
Our Parks and Recreation Department maintains 56 developed and nine undeveloped parks spanning nearly 1,971 acres, not to mention various recreational facilities and programs. We have something for everyone.
The NRPA study on park engagement features some illuminating findings:
- 275 million people in the United States visited a local park or recreation facility at least once last year.
- Nearly three in four residents have at least one local park, playground, open space, or recreation center within walking distance of their homes.
- 84 percent of adults seek high-quality parks and recreation when choosing a place to live.
- Nine in 10 people agree that parks and recreation is an essential service their local government provides.
- Nearly three in four people agree that equity is important for their local park and recreation agency.
For more information on our parks, programs, and facilities, go to cstx.gov/parks or contact us at email@example.com or 979-764-3486. For the latest news, we suggest signing up for our free weekly Recreation Connection e-newsletter.
About the Blogger
Kelli Nesbitt has served the Parks & Recreation Department for 17 years, the last nine as marketing coordinator. A native of Bryan, she earned a bachelor’s degree in health & kinesiology from Sam Houston State.
If you liked this post, share it with the buttons below!