By Jay Socol, Public Communications Director
Welcome to the very first on-the-road edition of “Is This A Thing?” Economic Development Director Natalie Ruiz and I packed up our recording gear and drove to Austin to talk with Beau Armstrong, chairman and CEO of Stratus Properties, Inc., which is developing the 76-acre tract in College Station at Harvey Mitchell Parkway and Wellborn Road to be known as Jones Crossing.
Armstrong talks about the HEB-anchored development and the kinds of businesses that will (and won’t) appear alongside it. He addresses the significance of the location, the family that’s owned it since the 1800s, and what Stratus’s development experience has been like in College Station.
Total run time: 22:00
- 00:00 — Show open with Nat and Jay.
- 03:13 — The history of Beau, Stratus and some development highlights.
- 06:18 — How did College Station get on your radar? (Spoiler: Lots of HEB love here).
- 09:10 — Why this location is exceptional.
- 10:06 — The overall vision for Jones Crossing.
- 11:17 — What you’ll find here, and what you won’t.
- 12:55 — Can you reveal business names yet?
- 14:13 — Working the deal with the Jones family, project timeline.
- 17:34 — About developing in College Station: Good, bad and ugly? Will you do more?
- 21:00 — Final thoughts from Armstrong and show close.
More information: jonescrossingtx.com
About the Blogger
Jay Socol (@jaysocol) is in his eighth year as College Station’s public communications director. A 1991 graduate of Texas A&M. Jay has also been communications director for the Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service, public information officer for the City of Bryan, and news director at several Bryan-College Station area radio stations. A native of Breckenridge, he also serves as president of the Texas Association of Municipal Information Officers.
If you found value in this blog post, please share it with your social network and friends!