History Blog: World War I ended 95 years ago today
The following message was authored by Henry Mayo, a surveyor and long-time resident of the Bryan-College Station area. As a surveyor and historian, Henry retrieves information from local, state and national resources to assemble history-themed messages for email subscribers in a series titled “This Week in Brazos County History.” To subscribe to Henry’s email series, click here.
ARMISTICE SIGNED – BRYAN MAYOR DECLARES A HOLIDAY (Nov. 11, 1918)
With today being Veterans Day, it’s appropriate that we look back to the end of The Great War, or World War I as it’s known now. The armistice was signed on Monday, Nov. 11, 1918, and was such a greatly anticipated event around the world. The front page of The Eagle ran the headline “Armistice Signed; War Ended Six O’Clock” and carried a holiday proclamation and parade call from Bryan Mayor John M. Lawrence.
This is why Nov. 11 is now Veterans Day, a national holiday. My grandfather was 13 years old at the time, but throughout his 100 years he remembered the excitement and celebration they heard across the farm fields from the nearby town of Kerens, about two miles away.
Thank you to all our veterans!
Related History Blogs:
- College Station incorporated 75 years ago wthis month (Oct. 26, 2013)
- A different kind of drought ended in 1971 (Oct. 8, 2013)
- Old Hrdlicka home had long, storied history (Sept. 24, 2013)
- Solving the puzzle of A&M’s Veterans Village (Sept. 17, 2013)
- A fitting week to celebrate The Bear’s 100th birthday (Sept. 10, 2013)
- Remember when Aggie football tickets were $4? (July 30, 2013)
- Much has changed in my 50 years in BCS (June 17, 2013)
- The King ruled College Station in the summer of ’73 (June 10, 2013)
- Did Marty Robbins prefer College Station over El Paso? (June 11, 2013)
- Petition for incorporation presented to county (June 3, 2013)
- Cornerstone for Sbisa Hall installed with Masonic ceremony (May 31, 2013)
- Easterwood Field dedicated on May 22, 1941 (May 21, 2013)
- FDR gives commencement address at A&M College (May 14, 2013)
- The greatest BCS song you may have never heard (May 13, 2013)
- Paddle strike at Aggieland/Terracing jumps into spotlight (April 8, 2013)
- Petition for incorporating College Station begins circulating (March 27, 2013)
- Think getting around College Station is tough now? (Jan. 16, 2013)