Be ready to make a difference with fall CPR classes

By Hallie Hutchins, Parks & Recreation Marketing Assistant

Some people seem to think life-saving CPR is a job best left to paramedics, doctors, or others with years of medical training and experience. The truth is that we’d all benefit from knowing cardiopulmonary resuscitation techniques.

In an emergency medical situation, a quick response is critical. In many cases – especially with a sudden cardiac arrest – bystanders who know CPR and how to use an automated external defibrillator (AED) can saves lives.

More than 300,000 cardiac arrests occur away from hospitals each year, and professional paramedics only treat 6 in 10 victims. Early intervention with CPR or defibrillation can increase survival rates as much as 60 percent.

Do you want to be a bystander who makes a difference?

This fall, the City of College Station Parks & Recreation Department will conduct CPR and AED certification classes to help you recognize emergency situations and equip you to handle a variety of first aid, breathing, and cardiac emergencies. If you pass the course, you’ll receive a digital certificate for Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED that’s valid for two years.

We’re also offering babysitter training and wilderness and remote first aid certification classes. The cost for the CPR/AED certification classes and the babysitter training is $75, and the wilderness/remote first aid classes are $150.

Registration for all classes is required at Here’s the schedule:

CPR, First Aid & AED Certification

>>Participants must be at least 10 years old

  • Two-Day Class: Tue., Sept. 4 – Tue., Sept. 11 (6-9 p.m.), Lick Creek Nature Center
  • , Oct. 27 (9 a.m.-3:30 p.m.), Southwood Community Center
  • , Nov. 18 (noon-6 p.m.), Lick Creek Nature Center

Babysitter Training (Southwood Community Center)

>>Participants must be at least 10 years old

  • , Sept. 15 (9 a.m.-5 p.m.)
  • Two-Day Class: Thu., Oct. 11 – Fri., Oct. 12 (4:30-8:30 p.m.)
  • Two-Day Class: Fri., Nov. 2 – Fri., Nov. 9 (5-9 p.m.)

Wilderness & Remote First Aid Notification (Lick Creek Nature Center)

>>Participants must be at least 14 years old

  • Two-Day Class: Sat., Sept. 8 – Sun., Sept. 9 (9 a.m.-5 p.m.)
  • Two-Day Class: Sat., Oct. 13 – Sun., Oct. 20 (9 a.m.-5 p.m.

Here are four reasons to make time to learn these skills:

1. You can be part of an elite group of prepared citizens.

Although CPR and AED use improves outcomes and survival rates, fewer than 3 percent of the population receives training. That leaves 97 percent unprepared to respond quickly to cardiac arrest.

2. You might save the life of a loved one.

Since 88 percent of sudden cardiac arrests occur at home, you’re more likely to save a loved one than anyone else. If a family member had a heart attack, wouldn’t you want to help?

3. You’ll have the confidence to take action.

Proper training gives you the confidence you need to be a lifesaver, not a helpless bystander.

4. Knowledge promotes a sense of safety and well-being.

A basic tenet of first aid training is prevention. It’s always better to be safe than to be sorry, and a working knowledge of first aid techniques not only promote a sense of safety and well-being, it also encourages people to be more alert.

Become a part of the solution! For more information, go to  or


About the Blogger

Hallie Hutchins is in her fourth year as marketing staff assistant in the Parks & Recreation Department after graduating from Texas A&M in 2014 with a degree in sports management. She has previously worked with the Dallas Sidekicks professional soccer team and Texas Team Junior Golf. Originally from White Oak, Hallie also attended Kilgore College and was a member of the famed Kilgore Rangerettes dance team.


Photo Copyright: kritchanut / 123RF Stock Photo

If you found value in this blog post, please share it with your social network and friends!


Leave a Reply