I’ve recently received a few questions about why we need internet bandwidth speeds 20 times faster than what we currently have available, so I thought I would try to break it down for everyone. The whole high-speed bandwidth argument has to do with five variables:
- The size of the data pipe (how much data can move through at once).
- The speed of the data pipe (how fast that data moves through the pipe).
- The quality of the data pipe (how much stuff gets lost between point A and point B).
- The cost of the data pipe (the price of moving stuff through the pipe and the price of constructing the pipe).
- The availability of the data pipe (where the pipe can be found and run).