You can be properly insured ─ even in a floodplain

You can be properly insured ─ even in a floodplain

14877773_lBy Donnie Willis, Environmental Engineer

A flood can happen anywhere it rains, and only a few inches of water can cause major damage to your home.

Since standard homeowner’s insurance doesn’t cover flooding, it’s important to know your options. Despite common misconceptions, all homeowners, business owners and renters can get flood insurance regardless of whether they live in a floodplain or if their property has flooded before.

The City of College Station participates in the National Flood Insurance Program and is rated as a Class-7 Community, which means our residents pay lower flood insurance premiums. Rates are reduced 15 percent for structures in Special Flood Hazard Areas and 5 percent in Non-Special Flood Hazard Areas.

Flood insurance is required for property owners living in a high-risk area ─ or special flood hazard area ─ with a federally-backed mortgage. If you’ve received a federal grant or loan for previous flood losses, you must have a flood policy to qualify for future aid.

Continue reading “You can be properly insured ─ even in a floodplain”